5 Reasons to Charge What You Are Worth
Years ago I made my first "big" sale. I booked a new client for $500. It was like that scene from 50 First Dates where Drew Barrymore is doing a happy dance in public. I'd like to tell you I continued to churn out big sales and charge what I am worth from there, but I didn't.
To be honest, booking a new client for $500 was far below what I was worth. It was on the coat tails of spending too much time giving things away for free or low cost. Self-doubt continued to creep in no matter how much experience or training I had.
Will I be good enough? Will people like me? Is all this hard work and sacrifice worth what I am charging? Will anyone actually pay me to do this?
Does this sound familiar?
One of the biggest challenges for many entrepreneurs is feeling confident in charging what they are really worth. Many of us, including me when I started, "hope" by giving things away for free and giving deep discounts we will be rewarded. In reality, "hope" is not a marketing strategy and will not only lose you money, it will gain you clients you don't want.
Do You Know Your Worth?
If you don't know your worth it is difficult to set your prices to reflect your worth. You cannot base your own work solely on what others are charging or what you "think" people will pay. It is all about the value not the dollar sign. Consider the following questions when brainstorming your own value:
Are you starting to get an idea of what your value might be? The average person most likely does not have the knowledge and skill-set you do. Even if you are one step ahead of someone else, that is still one step they do not have.
Kick Your Limiting Beliefs
Even the most successful people have thoughts of doubt creep into their head. The difference is successful people make the decision to live with intent and shift their mindset. No one ever accomplished anything by staying in their comfort zone. What limiting beliefs are keeping you from accomplishing the things you want in your business? Do you feel nervous when charging clients higher prices? Work through your limiting beliefs. Hire someone if you need or join MAKERS Success Academy for support.
Are You Working For the Right Clients?
Not everyone is the right client for you. Are you working with clients who want to pay you what you ask for or are they just looking for the cheapest deal? No matter what type of work you do, there will always be someone out there willing to charge less than you. Don't set a price just because it is lower than a competitor.
Make a choice to not discount yourself just to get clients. Make the choice to only take clients who are willing to pay what you are worth because they value what you have to offer. Clients who are hyper-price focused tend to end up consuming more of your time and causing more trouble than others. Working with difficult clients who do not value what you do creates a multitude of problems including lower self-confidence, higher incidence of self-doubt, and attracting more of those clients who don't value you.
Are You Ready To Get Serious?
The more serious you get about worth and intention the greater impact you will be able to have. Here are five reasons you should charge what you are worth:
1. More Focus. When you are not getting the $$ you need you are constantly hustling to get your next lead and your next client. When you have good revenue coming in it frees you up to have more time to focus on the important things. You can step back and take time on your content instead of trying to produce mass quantity. Quality over quantity. You can focus on creating more of the content that brings you the most clients. You can focus on doing more of what you love with those you love.
2. Better Content. Not only will you have more time to focus, you will be able to create better content. Being able to invest in your self and your business means you are able to create better things for your clients.
3. Reach More Clients. Stop making it about you and remember it is about your clients. If you have something of value then you are doing the world a disservice to not have your value out in the world to more people. Get your story out there. Invest in marketing and advertising to get in front of more of those right clients. You don't have to start big, but investing back into your business is a big part of being successful. If you are charging what you are worth you will have the means to reinvest in your business.
4. Deeper Connections. Once you reinvest and start charging what you are worth you will have more time to make deeper connections with your ideal clients. You will be able to spend more time creating experiences and devoting your skills rather than spreading yourself thin and trying to do it all. When you try to do it all you are not able to do things to your best abilities. Outsource things you are not good at or don't want to do so you can spend more time on the things in your business create trust, connections, and loyal clients.
5. Bigger Impact. Most entrepreneurs become entrepreneurs because of two things; freedom and impact. Both of which usually require a certain sum of money. Not everyones freedom looks the same nor does their desired level of impact. Do you desire to be a part of something bigger than yourself? Do you want to contribute to causes you are passionate about? Charging what you are worth allows you to leverage your earnings to create a bigger impact.
My goal is to be able to give more into causes I am passionate about than I live on from my business. To do that I need to charge what I know I am worth. I would have never been able to accomplish any of my goals if I had not started charging what I am worth.
Next time you get down to business and feel anxious about charging what you are worth, remember to focus on the benefits to everyone involved; you, your business, your clients, your audience, and all the other people who are touched by the things you do.
Comment below: What is the #1 thing you feel is holding you back from charging what you are worth?
Read to Success
How to Make Books Your Path to More Success
I have been a avid reader since I was a child. My first choice reading book in elementary school was a huge Stephen King book that made my teachers eyes drop. Over the last few years I have become more intentional and ambitious about reading books. Over the last few years I have averaged about 20 books a year. Not bad more a mompreneur of 4. By the end of this year I will reach 52.
I always have a book on hand. Many people ask, "Why do you take so much time to read?" My answer: It is a key part of my entrepreneurial and leadership strategy. Someone once asked Warren Buffett about his secret to success. Buffett pointed to a stack of books and said, “Read 500 pages like this every day. That’s how knowledge works. It builds up, like compound interest. All of you can do it, but I guarantee not many of you will...” Talk about a powerful quote.
My plan, goal set, action includes to be a better leader five years from now. I believe it is my responsibility to lead women to find their passion and start with success everyday. Reading is a key part of this process on my path to personal and entrepreneurial growth.
Here are five reasons reading every week can bring you more success:
1. To Motivate You to the Next Level
Reading lots of books across genres sparks ideas like no other. I take notes from every book I read about how I can implement ideas into my life or business for the better. You never know what is going to spark the next great idea. Let reading motivate you to do new things and spark new ideas.
2. To Learn a New Skill
One of the best ways I have found to learn a new skill is to read a book about it. Don't get me wrong I enjoy a good fiction book as much as the others, but I committed to myself since the start of my business to always be in pursuit of continuing education. Learning new things contribute to your overall success.
3. To Improve Yourself
Reading increases your vocabulary, improves your writing, and improves memory. Self-improvement should be on everyones list of to-dos. No one is perfect and that is okay. There is always room for improvement. If I can do something I enjoy as well as improve myself at the same time I am all for it. I try to take advantage when I can of things that have multiple benefits.
4. To Reduce Stress
No one like being stressed. Stress causes all kinds of havoc in your life. Stress causes physical and neurological damage from lack of sleep to inability to focus. Take time to read a book and rid yourself of harmful stress. Your body and mind will thank you for it.
5. Challenge Your View
We are creatures of habit. Once we have an opinion formed about something we often stick to our guns. Reading an assortment of genres can either reinforce our beliefs or challenges us to form new truths about the world around us. Success never came from a narrow mind. Expand your knowledge and challenge yourself to success.
These are 5 ways reading can bring you more success in your life or business. Reading makes me a better person, a better wife, a better mother, and a better entrepreneur. It helps me grow, and be a better leader for my tribe of MAKERS. These are all my reasons for reading to success.
My question for you: Do you have an intentional goal for reading this year? I challenge you to join me in reading 52 books this year. Are you up for it?
30 Days to More Gratitude
How to Make Gratitude Central to Your Personal Growth in the Coming Year
One thing I frequently hear from people is they want to be happy. Makes sense if you believe happiness is key to success.
The definition of gratitude states, the quality of being thankful; readiness to show appreciation for and to return kindness. Gratitude runs deep. It is so easy to get swept up in the daily ho hum of life that we forget to stop and show gratitude for what we have.
“It’s a scientific fact that gratitude reciprocates.” – Matthew McConaughey
My 30-Days of Gratitude
I am a firm believer in gratitude and usually go out of my way to show my appreciation. Sometimes I get caught up in the hustle and bustle of raising 4 kids and running my own business. So I decided to find my gratitude again with 30 days of gratitude .
As I round out my 30 days I feel more humble, more grateful, and happier because of my intentional gratitude. Whatever your goals are for 2019 I bet you could use a bit more happiness. Everyone could benefit from more happiness in their lives. Here are five rules that can help you with your 30 days to more gratitude.
5 rules to more gratitude
1. Find gratitude in everything. You can find gratitude every day. I find the smallest of things in life are often those that go without notice. Appreciate the good things you have in life, because they all are worth being thankful for. Many of our lives are wrought with struggle but each and every one of us has something to be grateful for. Did you get your mail delivered? Do you know how to read? Do you have someone you can tell your day about?
2. Find gratitude in your challenges. Gratitude can also be found in seemingly negative experiences. How has a challenging event or situation help shape you into the person you are today? You may even find gratitude in past failures. Challenges and failures often teach us lessons that lead us to success in the future.
3. Keep Track. Take time every day and be mindful of what you are grateful for. Keep a gratitude journal and write down things you are grateful for. This does not have to be complicated or time consuming. Write three things every day and try not to repeat any. If you don't take the time to acknowledge the things that you have now that you're grateful for then you will always be reaching for the next thing and it will never be enough.
4. Let others in on your gratitude. Everyone like to feel appreciated. Let them know. Go out of your way to share your gratitude with others. That doesn’t mean to go tell everyone about you, you, you. It means to go out of your way to tell others you appreciate them. Go out of your way to thank people during your daily interactions. A little bit of gratitude goes a long way.
5. Give. When you are in a mindful state of gratitude you expel positive energy. You can have more gratitude by giving to others. This could mean donating your time by volunteering or giving physical things like used items or money to those in need.One thing I enjoy doing is participating in random acts of kindness. For me giving to others makes me happy so I guess one could say I do it partially out of selfish reasons. At the same time you never know if your act of kindness could be the difference in someone’s life that changes it forever. Giving makes me feel like I have an impact and also makes me grateful that I have the ability to give to others in need.
If you are looking for more ways to have more gratitude join the MAKERS 30-day Gratitude Challenge to find more happiness in 2019.
MAKE YOUR OWN SUCCESS
Today is your day. You are the only thing standing in your way.